In the realm of Mixed Martial Arts, where upsets can send shockwaves through the sport, Sean Strickland’s recent victory in Sydney, Australia, has captured the attention of fight fans and pundits alike. Strickland, known for his brash style and association with Xtreme Couture, accomplished a remarkable feat in his first career title fight, becoming the underdog who defied the odds.
UFC 293, which felt like a distant dream until recently, will forever be etched in MMA history as the event where Strickland turned the world upside down. His triumphant unanimous decision win over the reigning two-time champion, Israel Adesanya, was nothing short of spectacular. Oddsmakers had pegged Strickland as a +500 underdog, making this victory the biggest upset in middleweight title fight history in terms of betting odds.
To put it in perspective, Strickland’s upset ranks among the top 10 all-time upsets in the history of the sport and shares the No. 6 spot in title fight upsets with Rose Namajunas’ first-round knockout of Joanna Jedrzejczyk in 2017. This historic victory has sparked a heated debate among fans and experts, with many proclaiming it as the new biggest upset.
However, there’s a contender for the throne of the ultimate upset: Holly Holm’s shocking victory over Ronda Rousey in 2015. Holm, with betting odds of +830, dethroned the -1400 favorite Rousey in another memorable bout, also taking place in Australia. Ben Askren, a former Bellator and ONE Championship welterweight titlist and a keen observer of the sport, weighed in on the debate. While supremely impressed by Strickland’s performance, he still ranks Holm’s victory as the biggest upset of all time, from both a historical and betting standpoint.
Askren explained, “I don’t think this one tops Holly Holm over Ronda Rousey as the biggest upset of all time, and I think from a betting standpoint, that pencils also.” He acknowledged the brilliance of Strickland’s strategy in nullifying Adesanya’s arsenal for 25 minutes, emphasizing the difficulty of achieving such a feat against a fighter as versatile as Adesanya.
Strickland’s path to this historic moment was paved with hard work and consistency. Since rejoining the middleweight division in 2020, he has been remarkably active, competing five times between July 2022 and his title-winning bout. With a record of 3-2 in those fights (and an overall record of 28-5, with 15-5 in the UFC), Strickland has proven himself as a formidable force in the middleweight division.
Looking ahead, Strickland made it clear in his post-fight press conference that he’s open to defending his title against any worthy opponent the UFC puts in front of him. The likeliest options for his first title defense include an immediate rematch with Adesanya, the top-ranked contender Dricus Du Plessis, or the winner of the Paulo Costa vs. Khamzat Chimaev matchup at UFC 294 next month.
In a sport where unpredictability reigns supreme, Sean Strickland’s historic upset has taken its place among the greatest moments in MMA history. Whether it surpasses the legendary upset of Holly Holm over Ronda Rousey is a subject of debate that will continue to fuel discussions among fans and experts alike.
1. Analysis: Dricus du Plessis – UFC 293 was ‘worst’ Israel Adesanya we’ve ever seen in the cage
- The aftermath of Strickland’s victory has sparked discussions about Adesanya’s performance and what went wrong.
2. Scare: Sean Strickland coach thought UFC 293 title fight was off after Strickland allegedly punched fan
- Even before the fight, Strickland’s journey to the title had its share of unexpected twists.
3. Future: Robert Whittaker calls it ‘silly’ if Israel Adesanya gets immediate Sean Strickland rematch
- The debate over a potential rematch is already heating up, with Whittaker sharing his thoughts.
4. Aftermath: Dana White still puzzled about Israel Adesanya’s reaction to UFC 293 loss
- The UFC president’s comments shed light on the intrigue surrounding Adesanya’s post-fight behavior.
5. Rivals: Dana White blasts Tito Ortiz, Randy Couture for past UFC dealings: ‘Two guys that absolutely tried to destroy the company’
- In the world of MMA, rivalries aren’t limited to the octagon; White’s comments add a layer of intrigue to the sport’s history.
6. Gold: Junior dos Santos says he’s fighting winner of Alan Belcher vs. Roy Nelson for Gamebred Bareknuckle MMA title in 2024
- The world of combat sports continues to evolve, with dos Santos venturing into bareknuckle MMA.
- The MMA Hour
- Grasso vs. Shevchenko 2 preview
- UFC Connected: Jack Della Maddalena
- Free fight
- Bellator 301
- Heavyweight rematch
- Full fights
- Breaking down Grasso vs. Shevchenko 2
No Bets Barred
- MMA Hook’s Jed Meshew and Conner Burks discuss if Valentina Shevchenko can reclaim the flyweight title or does Alexa Grasso have her number?
SOCIAL MEDIA BOUILLABAISSE
- A cryptic message that leaves fans speculating about what’s to come in the world of MMA.
- An intriguing tweet that sparks curiosity.
- A location-based post that hints at something related to MMA in Ireland.
- A reference to a fighter named Jorge, perhaps indicating exciting developments in his career.
- A post that suggests someone or something is under the spotlight, generating buzz.
- A simple, enigmatic word that leaves room for interpretation.
- An adjective that could describe a remarkable moment or individual in the MMA world.
- A reference to Mexico, raising questions about what’s happening south of the border.
- An expression of curiosity or contemplation, leaving readers guessing.
- A word that implies something new and exciting in the world of MMA.
- A teaser that hints at someone making a significant prediction in the MMA world.
- A question that suggests a potential shakeup in the sport.
- A cryptic word that may hint at something coming to an end or reaching its conclusion.
Poster game always on point.
- A compliment to someone’s skill in designing fight posters, emphasizing their consistency.
He’s just everywhere.
- An observation about someone’s widespread presence in the MMA scene.
- An announcement that it’s fight week, building anticipation among fans.
- A mysterious term that could refer to a demonstration or preview of something.
As he would.
- A comment that suggests someone’s actions are consistent with their character.
Wtf is right.
- A reaction to something unexpected or surprising in the world of MMA.
1. Jihin Radzuan (8-3) vs. Jenelyn Olsim (6-4); ONE Fight Night 14, Sept. 29
- An upcoming bout in the ONE Championship with fighters Radzuan and Olsim set to clash.
2. Said Nurmagomedov (17-3) vs. Muin Gafurov (18-5); UFC 294, Oct. 21
- A matchup to look forward to in the UFC 294 event.
3. Vugar Karamov (19-4) vs. Chihiro Suzuki (11-3); RIZIN Landmark 7, Nov. 4
- An intriguing fight scheduled for the RIZIN Landmark 7 event.
4. Tofiq Musayev (21-5) vs. Koji Takeda (15-5); RIZIN Landmark 7, Nov. 4
- A clash of talents in the RIZIN promotion’s upcoming event.
5. Mehman Mamedov (6-6) vs. Justin Scoggins (15-6); RIZIN Landmark 7, Nov. 4
- A matchup that promises excitement in the RIZIN Landmark 7 event.
6. Yaroslav Amosov (27-0) vs. Jason Jackson (16-4); Bellator 301, Nov. 17
- A fight to watch out for in the Bellator 301 event.
7. Sergio Pettis (23-5) vs. Patchy Mix (18-1); Bellator 301, Nov. 17
- An exciting clash between Pettis and Mix on the Bellator 301 card.
8. Patricky ‘Pitbull’ Freire (25-11) vs. Alexander Shabliy (23-3); Bellator 301, Nov. 17
- A fight that could deliver fireworks in the Bellator 301 event.
9. Raufeon Stots (19-2) vs. Danny Sabatello (14-3); Bellator 301, Nov. 17
- A matchup featuring Stots and Sabatello in Bellator 301.
10. Daniel James (15-7-1) vs. Ali Isaev (9-0-1); Bellator 301, Nov. 17
– A bout that adds depth to the Bellator 301 fight card.
11. Tyrell Fortune (13-3) vs. Marcelo Golm (10-4); Bellator 301, Nov. 17
– A heavyweight showdown to watch out for at Bellator 301.
12. Timur Khizriev (13-0) vs. Justin Gonzales (14-2); Bellator 301, Nov. 17
– A matchup that could provide plenty of excitement in the Bellator 301 event.
13. Mike Hamel (11-5) vs. Tim Wilde (16-4-1); Bellator 301, Nov. 17
– A clash between Hamel and Wilde in the Bellator 301 card.
14. Denise Kielholtz (7-5) vs. Sumiko Inaba (6-0); Bellator 301, Nov. 17
– A women’s bout that adds diversity to the Bellator 301 lineup.
15. Islam Mamedov (22-3-1) vs. Killys Mota (15-3); Bellator 301, Nov. 17
– A battle between Mamedov and Mota in the Bellator 301 event.
16. Kayla Harrison (15-1) vs. Julia Budd (17-6); PFL 2023 Championship, Nov. 24
– A high-stakes showdown in the PFL 2023 Championship.
Bellator 301 kicks off with a bang, setting the stage for some intriguing matchups in the world of MMA. As the debate rages on about whether Sean Strickland’s victory surpasses the legendary upset of Holly Holm over Ronda Rousey, fight fans have plenty to look forward to in the coming weeks and months. The MMA world continues to evolve, with fighters making bold predictions, intriguing announcements, and capturing the spotlight on social media. Stay tuned for more exciting developments in the world of combat sports!
Who do you favor in an instant rematch?
- Sean Strickland
- Israel Adesanya
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about MMA Upsets
What is the significance of Sean Strickland’s recent victory in MMA?
Sean Strickland’s recent victory in MMA, particularly his triumphant unanimous decision win over Israel Adesanya, is significant because it is considered one of the biggest upsets in middleweight title fight history. Strickland, who was the underdog with betting odds of +500, managed to defeat the reigning two-time champion, Adesanya, which has sparked debates among fans and experts about whether it surpasses the legendary upset of Holly Holm over Ronda Rousey in 2015.
How does Sean Strickland’s upset rank in the history of MMA upsets?
Strickland’s upset ranks among the top 10 all-time upsets in the history of MMA. In terms of title fight upsets, it shares the No. 6 spot with Rose Namajunas’ first-round knockout of Joanna Jedrzejczyk in 2017. This victory has garnered widespread attention and debate, with many considering it the new biggest upset, though opinions vary.
What is the debate surrounding the biggest upset in MMA history?
The debate centers on whether Sean Strickland’s victory over Israel Adesanya surpasses the historic upset of Holly Holm over Ronda Rousey. While Strickland’s win is seen as remarkable, some, including former Bellator and ONE Championship welterweight titlist Ben Askren, still rank Holm’s victory as the biggest upset of all time. The debate takes into account both historical significance and betting odds.
Who are the likely opponents for Sean Strickland’s first title defense?
Sean Strickland has expressed his willingness to defend his title against any worthy opponent the UFC puts in front of him. The likeliest options for his first title defense include an immediate rematch with Israel Adesanya, the top-ranked contender Dricus Du Plessis, or the winner of the Paulo Costa vs. Khamzat Chimaev matchup at UFC 294 next month.
What other noteworthy topics are covered in the MMA Morning Report?
The MMA Morning Report also covers a range of other topics, including analyses of fighters’ performances, behind-the-scenes stories like Sean Strickland allegedly punching a fan, discussions about potential rematches, and comments from MMA figures like Dana White. It also highlights upcoming fights and events, as well as social media buzz and intriguing posts from the MMA community.
Is there anything else of interest in the MMA Morning Report?
Yes, the MMA Morning Report often includes content related to the broader MMA community, such as interviews, previews of upcoming fights, and discussions about fighters’ records and predictions. It provides a comprehensive overview of recent developments and events in the world of mixed martial arts.
More about MMA Upsets
- Sean Strickland’s upset victory over Israel Adesanya
- Holly Holm’s historic upset of Ronda Rousey
- Ben Askren’s opinion on MMA upsets
- Possible opponents for Sean Strickland’s first title defense
- Analyses of fighters’ performances in MMA
- Behind-the-scenes stories in the MMA world
- Discussions about potential MMA rematches
- Dana White’s comments on MMA
- Upcoming MMA fights and events
- Social media buzz in the MMA community
- Interviews and previews in the MMA world
- Discussions about fighters’ records and predictions