Israel Adesanya is eager to face Dricus Du Plessis, the top-ranked challenger for his middleweight title. The two fighters came face-to-face for the first time at UFC 290 last month, and Du Plessis impressed by defeating former champion Robert Whittaker in the second round. This victory set the stage for an anticipated 185-pound title fight as the main event at UFC 293 in Sydney, Australia the following month.
However, Adesanya now claims that the fight might not happen as Du Plessis is allegedly using a foot injury as an excuse to avoid the bout. Adesanya expressed his frustration on The Halfcast Podcast, criticizing Du Plessis for not showing a willingness to fight him. He described his opponent using strong language, suggesting that Du Plessis is afraid to face him and lacks the courage to step up to the challenge.
While Du Plessis has not yet responded to Adesanya’s claims, fellow middleweight contender Sean Strickland has reportedly been considered as a replacement opponent for Adesanya at UFC 293. Nevertheless, Adesanya remains highly motivated for the matchup with Du Plessis and is not letting this setback deter him. He believes that Du Plessis may be skilled and have a good team, but deep down, he is afraid of facing “The Last Stylebender.”
In conclusion, Adesanya is viewing the situation as a case of Du Plessis being all talk and no action, and he remains focused on preparing for the fight whenever it takes place.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Adesanya
Q: What is the news about Israel Adesanya and Dricus Du Plessis?
A: Israel Adesanya, the middleweight champion, and Dricus Du Plessis, the top-ranked challenger, met face-to-face at UFC 290. Du Plessis secured an upset victory over Robert Whittaker, setting up a highly anticipated 185-pound title fight at UFC 293. However, Adesanya claims that Du Plessis is now avoiding the fight due to a foot injury.
Q: Is the fight between Adesanya and Du Plessis still happening?
A: Adesanya has accused Du Plessis of not wanting to fight due to a foot injury, but Du Plessis has not yet responded. There are talks of Sean Strickland potentially replacing Du Plessis as Adesanya’s opponent at UFC 293.
Q: What is Adesanya’s opinion of Du Plessis?
A: Adesanya acknowledges that Du Plessis is a tough and crafty fighter with a strong team, but he firmly believes that Du Plessis is scared to face him and lacks the courage to step up for the fight.
Q: When and where is UFC 293 taking place?
A: UFC 293 is expected to be held in Sydney, Australia, though there may be potential changes to the lineup depending on the status of the Adesanya vs. Du Plessis fight.
More about Adesanya
- “UFC 293” – [Link to UFC website or official event page]
- “Israel Adesanya” – [Link to Israel Adesanya’s profile or news page]
- “Dricus Du Plessis” – [Link to Dricus Du Plessis’s profile or news page]
- “UFC 290” – [Link to UFC 290 event details or results page]
- “Sean Strickland” – [Link to Sean Strickland’s profile or news page]
- “Robert Whittaker” – [Link to Robert Whittaker’s profile or news page]
- “The Halfcast Podcast” – [Link to The Halfcast Podcast’s website or episode page]
- “MMA News” – [Link to a reputable MMA news source or website covering the topic]
- “Sydney, Australia” – [Link to information about Sydney as the potential event location]
- “UFC Middleweight Title Fight” – [Link to the UFC middleweight division or title fight history]
- “Octagon” – [Link to information about the UFC Octagon or cage]
- “Upset Victory” – [Link to an article explaining the upset victory concept in MMA]
- “Sean Strickland potential replacement” – [Link to news or rumors about Sean Strickland potentially replacing Du Plessis]
- “Dricus Du Plessis Foot Injury” – [Link to any official statement or news about Du Plessis’s injury]
- “UFC 293 Fight Cancellation” – [Link to any official UFC statement or news about the fight’s status]