In the latest episode of The Ultimate Fighter 31, Conor McGregor faced another setback as his coaching record dropped to 0-7 this season. One of Michael Chandler’s team members, Jason Knight, emerged victorious in a thrilling quarterfinal matchup against Landon Quinones, boosting his own record to an impressive 7-0. It’s worth noting that the bouts in The Ultimate Fighter are considered exhibitions and don’t affect the fighters’ professional records.
The fight kicked off with both competitors exchanging powerful punches. Quinones attempted a takedown after a brief exchange, but Knight swiftly transitioned into an armbar and smoothly moved into a triangle choke. Less than a minute into the fight, Quinones tapped out, leaving McGregor disappointed.
After being declared the winner, Knight engaged in a brief exchange of words with McGregor. Knight expressed his desire for “one more win” to solidify the sweep, while McGregor doubted that outcome. However, the tension dissipated as Knight conveyed his satisfaction with the victory, and they shared a friendly gesture before moving on.
Curious about the potential outcome if Team Chandler achieved an 8-0 sweep, McGregor approached UFC President Dana White for clarification. The show’s executive producer suggested the possibility of members from Chandler’s team joining the opposing squad, which promised intriguing conversations.
Knight, who aims to return to the UFC after a previous run of 4-5, demonstrated his prowess by winning two BKFC bouts and securing a submission victory over Charles Bennett in Jorge Masvidal’s Gamebred FC in June 2021. He also claimed two MMA victories on the regional scene.
In the next episode, Hunter Azure from Team Chandler, ranked No. 1 in the bantamweight division, seeks to complete the sweep for his team against Team McGregor’s Rico DiSciullo.
The Ultimate Fighter 31 airs live every Tuesday at 10 p.m. ET on ESPN and ESPN+.
Following the season finale, it is anticipated that Conor McGregor and Michael Chandler will face off in a welterweight bout, although the official confirmation is pending. Recent sexual assault allegations against McGregor have also cast doubt on his competitive future.
Furthermore, the TUF 31 lightweight and bantamweight tournament finalists will compete for a significant UFC contract at the live finale of the show. The date for this event is yet to be announced.
Here is the breakdown of the TUF 31 roster by team:
Team McGregor (prospects)
- Lee Hammond (27, 5-0)
- Nate Jennerman (29, 16-5)
- Aaron McKenzie (34, 11-2-1)
- Landon Quinones (27, 7-1-1)
- Mando Gutierrez (26, 8-2)
- Trevor Wells (27, 8-3)
- Carlos Vera (35, 11-3)
- Rico DiSciullo (36, 11-2, 1 NC)
Team Chandler (veterans)
- Jason Knight (30, 23-7)
- Austin Hubbard (31, 15-6)
- Roosevelt Roberts (28, 12-3, 1 NC)
- Kurt Holobaugh (36, 19-7, 1 NC)
- Hunter Azure (31, 10-3)
- Brad Katona (31, 12-2)
- Timur Valiev (33, 18-3, 1 NC)
- Cody Gibson (35, 19-8)
Here are the quarterfinal results so far:
- Roosevelt Roberts def. Nate Jennerman via first-round KO
- Cody Gibson def. Mando Gutierrez via first-round TKO
- Austin Hubbard def. Aaron McKenzie via unanimous decision
- Timur Valiev def. Trevor Wells via unanimous decision
- Brad Katona def. Carlos Vera via unanimous decision
- Kurt Holobaugh def. Lee Hammond via second-round submission (guillotine choke)
- Jason Knight def. Landon Quinones via first-round submission (triangle choke)
Remaining quarterfinal matchup:
- Hunter Azure vs. Rico DiSciullo
Advancing to the semifinals: Roberts, Gibson, Hubbard, Valiev, Katona, Holobaugh, Knight
Eliminated: Jennerman, Gutierrez, McKenzie, Wells, Vera, Hammond, Quinones
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Ultimate Fighter 31
Q: How is Conor McGregor performing as a coach in The Ultimate Fighter 31?
A: Conor McGregor’s coaching record in The Ultimate Fighter 31 is currently 0-7, indicating a series of losses for his coached fighters.
Q: Who won the quarterfinal matchup between Jason Knight and Landon Quinones?
A: Jason Knight emerged victorious in the quarterfinal matchup against Landon Quinones, securing a quick submission victory with a triangle choke.
Q: Do the results of The Ultimate Fighter 31 bouts count towards the fighters’ professional records?
A: No, the fights in The Ultimate Fighter 31 are considered exhibitions, and the results do not affect the fighters’ professional records.
Q: What potential consequences were discussed if Team Chandler achieves an 8-0 sweep?
A: According to the show’s executive producer, they suggested asking members of Chandler’s team if they would switch to the other squad, which could lead to interesting conversations.
Q: Are there any upcoming fights scheduled between Conor McGregor and Michael Chandler?
A: Although a welterweight bout between Conor McGregor and Michael Chandler is expected, it has not been officially confirmed yet. Recent sexual assault accusations against McGregor have also left his future competitive status unclear.
Q: What is the format of The Ultimate Fighter 31 live finale?
A: The live finale of The Ultimate Fighter 31 will feature the lightweight and bantamweight tournament finalists competing for a six-figure UFC contract. The date for the event is yet to be announced.
More about Ultimate Fighter 31
- The Ultimate Fighter official website: The Ultimate Fighter
- ESPN website: ESPN
- UFC official website: UFC
- Michael Chandler’s official UFC profile: Michael Chandler
- Conor McGregor’s official UFC profile: Conor McGregor
- Jason Knight’s professional record: Jason Knight – Sherdog
- Landon Quinones’ professional record: Landon Quinones – Tapology
- The Ultimate Fighter on IMDb: The Ultimate Fighter (TV Series 2005– ) – IMDb